Research cruise Q&A

by Sherry Chou


Aloha! I am a graduate student in physical oceanography at the University of Hawaii. I usually study what happens to the energy of waves caused by tides and underwater topography (using computer simulations), but right now I am out in the middle of the Southern Pacific Ocean, studying the sea up close and personal (yay)!

Lots of my friends and family are very envious (naturally), and have asked me many questions. It's a special privilege to be a part of a science cruise, and maybe you're also wondering what it's like, whether you'd like to try it? Here are some commonly asked questions and my personal answers:


"Cruise? Like a pleasure cruise?

_I've never been on a pleasure cruise, but I think a research cruise is a *little* different.. For one, there is not as many people. Secondly, we are expected to work, everyday, up to 12 hours a day. We also don't have a pool or jacuzzi (my only regret). But we do get fed (4 meals a day), have a gym, sauna, pingpong table, karaoke machine, movie lounge, killer views of the ocean/stars/sunrises/sunsets, exotic port locations, and in general, a lot of fun!_


Will I get seasick?

_I know this is a real fear for a lot of people, and I answer as someone who has suffered. I've been on 4 other research ships before, and have gotten seasick on almost all of them - one time for 2 weeks straight. In fact, I usually get motion sickness after reading for just a few minutes in a moving vehicle. _

_While it depends on you, the ship, and the sea state, most likely you will feel unwell at some point during a long cruise, but it is nothing which can't be overcome. I think a few people have no problem at all adjusting, and a few people can't adjust no matter what, but most of us are somewhere in the middle. _

_After having tried all sorts of pills, patches, and wrist bands, for this current 42 day trip on the Nathaniel B. Palmer, I decided to try the simplest method of all, which has turned out to be the most effective: patience and walking around – it might take a couple days, but eventually my body learned to cope and now, besides falling over once in a while and getting my fingers jammed in a door, I barely notice the gentle swaying of the ship anymore!_


What will my lodging be like?

_Most of the rooms are shared by 2 people, with bunk beds and a private bathroom. While you will have a roommate, most likely that person will have a shift opposite of yours, so that you will never be in the room at the same time. Yes, there are people working around the clock!_


Will I have internet or phone access?

_Every ship is different, but for the most part there will be some kind of internet. Email is almost always possible, and at times wifi is available, but the speed and amount of data transfer might be very limited. As for phone, there is usually a satellite phone, but not always freely available._


Do I need special skills?

_Not necessarily. There are often opportunities for students and other community members to participate on research cruises (check out the Schmidt Ocean Institute, a private non-profit foundation focused on oceanography). I think that all you need is a good attitude, and a willingness to learn and participate. Good communication skills and being (social) media savy are often very much valued as well, and can be your ticket to an exciting science expedition!_




Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing me nice information._I know this is a real fear for a lot of people, and I answer as someone who has suffered. how to select best cruise ship rooms

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts