Sunrises

by Isa Rosso


It always takes me a few days to feel 100% adjusted to the "ship's life". It takes some time to get used to a new place, in general. But here, the contrast with the your "usual" life on land is quite strong. All of a sudden, we face a new pace, a long (12 hours, 7 days/week) and different working schedule, sometimes new responsibilities, and we naturally build new habits. Time flows differently here. Mostly, I feel it's set by the meals :) mid rat (11:30PM) - breakfast (7:30AM) - lunch (11:30PM) - and then I'm off. On my shift, I don't get to see the dinner time.. as I don't get to see any sunsets.. But, hey!! I do see a lot of sunrises!! 

Becki Beadling and me after deploying the first UW float, at sunrise

This is actually one of my favorite moments here. For a night person like me (who's usually getting up not before 8AM..hehe!), seeing the sun rising at the horizon, and painting the sky and the clouds with beautiful brush strokes of bright pink, orange and yellow, is actually pretty incredible.. unique!

Sunrise from the bridge

Another sunrise from the bridge

 
 Another day welcome us in our journey across the Pacific.. and my thoughts go to who I left at home (either in San Diego, Italy, or Canberra.. I have plenty of Homes.. ;-) ). A message on the phone (thank you satellite connection!!), an email or a call on the ship's "morale phone", and that distance is shortened.. for a bit. 




















I wonder how it was just few years ago, when setting sail meant (almost) no contact with land, for long periods of time.. Would our generation, so much dependent on social networks, internet, phones.. ``survive'' without connection with land?

My favorite coffee break








Comments

Popular Posts